Tuesday, May 13, 2008 | By: Rose

Engines

At first people used their own strength to work the machines they built. Next they used animals. Then they found out how to use the power of the wind when it blows, and of water when it flows. They built machines to catch this power stores as engines to work their other machines. This power 'catchers' were the sails and waterwheels which drove the mills.

Soon people found out how to make steam work their engines. Steam engines were very powerful and could be used anywhere to drive bigger and better machines. Some steam engines were use in the first cars. But today our cars have a much more powerful engine, the petrol engine. It uses petrol as fuel. The engine uses the energy from burning petrol to turn the car wheels.

The petrol engine has hundreds of different parts. There are several pistons and cylinders. The petrol burns in the tops of the cylinders and make hot gases. The hot gases push the pistons down. This movement makes a rod, or shaft, turn. Then gearwheels and other shafts carry the movement to the wheels.

We use other kinds of engines to turn the machines that make our electricity. One spins when water flows through it and is called a water turbine.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Rose, would you like to exchange links in my blogs? If you are interested, please let me know so that I will add you soon. Thank you and have a great day.

These are my blogs:

After Working Hours
http://www.afterworkinghours.com

Easy Earning Dollars
http://www.easyearningdollars.com

Things That Go bump
http://www.thingsthatgobump.net

Words of my Tongue
http://www.wordsonthetipofmytongue.com

Welcome to my site

To all my visitors, readers, and to those who want to exchange links just leave me a message on my chat box so that I can responds all of you to visit back your respective websites and to add your links....thanks for dropping by...Follow me and I will follow you...

Find Jobs Here Today!

Sign up for PayPal and start accepting credit card payments instantly.