Monday, May 19, 2008 | By: Rose

ELECTRICITY

I can find out about electricity using just a plastic comb. Run the comb several times through your hair, then hold it just above your hair. I will find that your hair will stand on end. By rubbing with the comb, you have given your hair a little bit of electricity, and you have also given an electric charge to your comb. These electric charges on your hair and the comb attract one another, and this is why your hair stands up. Electric charges like this are called static electricity.

I can giv many things, such as fur and plastic, an electric charge by rubbing them. Have you noticed that your shirt or blouse crackles when you take it off? That noise is made by static electricity.

When you walk across a nylon fibre carpet, your whole body picks up eletricity. Sometimes when you reach for a metal door knob afterwards, you give yourself a little electric shock! If the room is dark, you may even see sparks come from your fingers. The sparks are made as the electricity jumps through the air.

The same kind of things happens in the air during at thunderstorm. Static electricity builds up in the thunderclouds. Then suddenly the electricity sparks down to the ground and we see a flash of lightning. It can do a lot of damge, even knock down trees and buildings and set things on fire.

2 comments:

Semarang Online said...

Do u know, in the near future, you can charge ur cellphone battery with your cloths?

Please visit my other blog: http://planet-energy.blogspot.com

Mommy Liz said...

the shock happens to me mostly during winter season, and seldom on summertime, why is that? electricity shock is created more when it's cold? i dislike the static cling on clothes and the shock when i touch metals, but i am prepared for it.

Welcome to my site

To all my visitors, readers, and to those who want to exchange links just leave me a message on my chat box so that I can responds all of you to visit back your respective websites and to add your links....thanks for dropping by...Follow me and I will follow you...

Find Jobs Here Today!

Sign up for PayPal and start accepting credit card payments instantly.