Sunday, December 20, 2009 | By: Rose

Discovery of the Cell

A scientist named Robert Hooke was thee first person to use the term cells to refer to the tiny structures found in organisms. Around 1665, Hooke observed a piece of cork with the use of a microscope which he himself made. There he observed boxlike compartments in the cork. Hooke thought they looked like the small rooms or cells of old monasteries. He called these room-like structures in cork, cells. What Hooke really saw were the outer boundaries of the cells. They looked like empty boxes because the cells were dead.

Many other Scientists studied cells. In 1831 Robert Brown reported seeing small bodies in the cells he studied and called them nuclei (singular from nucleus) Years late in 1839, Johannes Purkinjie observed the complex fluid inside the cells and named it protoplasm.

0 comments:

Welcome to my site

To all my visitors, readers, and to those who want to exchange links just leave me a message on my chat box so that I can responds all of you to visit back your respective websites and to add your links....thanks for dropping by...Follow me and I will follow you...

Find Jobs Here Today!

Sign up for PayPal and start accepting credit card payments instantly.